Friday, February 22, 2008

car wreck


Today I  left work early (around 10:50) and went to pick up Justin (my brother) at DCA so I could take him to Performance to rent his costume for Victorian Day. Mom was going to take him but she got the flu like everyone else in America. We were driving down Stewart's Ferry and in front of Clover Bottom, traffic started stopping abruptly. The car two cars up stopped real fast to turn I guess and then the car in front of me slammed on it's brakes and then I slammed on mine in plenty of time but since it was rainy out, I hydroplaned. I slid right into the guy's truck with my foot pressing hard against the brake. It just does no good to try and use the peddles or steering wheel when you're hydroplaning. Thankfully Justin and I are both fine. I did a lot of damage to my car but we do have insurance so that is good. I called the 862-8600 number to get a cop out there. The man I hit couldn't speak english so he called his boss and the boss got on the phone with me and tried to convince me to let the guy go because he had an expired drivers license. I told him that I didn't think that was a good idea and wrote down the license plate number on the truck just in case. Apparently the truck belonged to the guy's boss. Finally the cops arrived at the scene to file the report. It was a lady who was very nice. I gave her my license and insurance card. The guy (a mexican) handed her some sort of paperwork and his expired license and she went back to her car. After about ten or fifteen minutes of waiting for her to write everything down and make some calls, an undercover cop showed up. I assume he was for back up just in case the guy decided to do something crazy. I had a feeling that the guy would get in trouble but I didn't know the extent of it. The lady cop got out of her car and arrested the mexican guy. She told us later that he was supposed to be deported and never showed up so he was technically wanted for being an illegal immigrant. I felt bad but the guy knew he was an illegal so it's his own fault. I had to get my car towed and Walter Colson (a friend from church) is going to fix the car. We hadn't been paying for rental car insurance so I will have no car for about two weeks or so. I have to rely on Ben to
drive me around which kinda sucks because his schedule is so unpredictable. I feel like a kid again relying on my mom to take me places. You feel so much less independent without a car. Anyway, I guess I have a lot to be grateful for. I didn't get hurt, my brother didn't get hurt, I handled everything calmly without crying like I usually do when stuff like this happens. I guess things could be a lot worse. Hey, I could be the mexican sitting in a jail cell right now. Poor guy. 

No comments: