Friday, February 6, 2009

just not that into you....

I just got back from a fabulous night with my friend Etta. We had dinner at Cinco De Mayo and then saw He's Just Not That Into You. I'd say my opinion of the movie to a married christian person is not exactly relatable but to a single person, I would probably want to cry myself to sleep. It's a really sad yet true depiction of dating life these days. Most of the communication is through email, texts, facebook, myspace, instant messages...theres not a lot of phone time. It also basically shows how hard it is to understand the opposite sex. The movie follows several different scenarios and yet they all tie into one another. The one main girl of the story is this girl looking for love and just tries to make it work with every guy. She comes on too strong, she is constantly checking her phone, calling and leave them messages, driving by their house or work or wherever. She basically just wants a relationship so bad that she does anything and everything to try and make it work with anyone who seems interested. I really felt bad for that girl.

I think I might have been that girl in junior high and high school but come on, who wasn't. It was the end of the world if a guy didn't like you or didn't call you or whatever. I'm thankful that I never had to play any of those games with Ben though, it was just right and we both knew it. I do think sometimes girls end up playing the same type of games with their girlfriends too. Does she want to hang out? Will she call me? Is she mad at me? Does she like so and so better than me? I think we all just crave attention from those around us that we sometimes go to great lengths to get that satisfaction. No matter how old we are or how much we think we are past that high school stage, girls will always be girls. 

I know that there are certain friendships that I have where I know the person will text and check up on me or send me little notes now and then. Those are the secure friendships where you may not talk for a couple weeks but you just know they are there and if you needed them you could call them and they would drop everything to be there. Those are great friendships. Then there are the other friendships where you wonder if they even care what you've been up to sometimes. Those are the scary kind and those make you feel really insecure. It's not that you don't want to be their friend but you just don't know how they feel about you all the time like with the secure ones. Maybe you haven't quite gotten each other yet. You find yourself wanting attention from these type of friends more than the secure friends because you need that secure feeling from them. I think we all just want to be liked. 

As you can probably tell, friendships are my biggest frustration these days. I'm sorta confused about a few of  them and so I just need to vent somewhere about it. I mostly write these blogs for myself so if they don't makes sense or you don't get what I'm saying, don't worry about it. At least I understand what I mean..ha! 

Next day second thought: also in the movie the guy tells the girl that if a guy wants to date you, he will make it happen. Is it the same way with friendships? If someone wants to be your friends, will they  make it happen? Will they make time for you?

No comments: