Friday, April 4, 2008

animals

"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal."
Proverbs 12:10

Animals are my PASSION!

I have to find a way to open up my own no kill animal rescue shelter. I need lots of acres to put it on too. So yeah, that's my plan. 

If you want to really have your eyes opened, watch today's episode of Oprah. I'm sure you can find it online somewhere. 

Let me just say a couple things... 

1. Do NOT get your pet from a pet store or shady breeder that won't let you see the mother and the conditions the animals are living in! Go to a shelter where every day animals get euthanized for NO reason!! Did you know that an estimated 40 dogs a day get euthanized at places like metro animal control because they need medical attention, are contagious, "look" mean, are feral or there's not enough space! 

2. Spay or neuter your animal! Don't think it's impossible for your animal to get away from you and breed with another animal... it happens! 

3. If you HAVE to have a certain breed, go to a specific breed rescue. There are plenty of rescue organizations that have pure bred animals that have been rescued and are up for adoption. 1/3 of animals that need to be adopted are pure bred!!

Take care of your animals! God says so and so do I!! :)


3 comments:

TheBookKnerd said...

Oh my gosh, I SO watched Oprah, and I was borderline hysterically crying. Now I want another Dog and I want to adopted it. When the euthanized those babies, you would have thought I had lost a loved one with the way I was crying. I had to love on my Laila a bit. You are absolutely right in this blog. How are these puppy mills not raided? Do you know?!

Jessica Polston said...

They aren't raided because by law dogs can be treated like livestock is what I understood them to say! It pisses me off so bad that those poor dogs had never walked before. I was also hysterically crying that those poor dogs were put to sleep for NO reason at all. I had to walk away. It's just heartbreaking. I had to love on Jack afterwards! :)

TheBookKnerd said...

I missed the first 30 mins of Oprah so I missed the puppy mill segment. I tuned in just in time to see those innocent babes get put down. I was a mess Friday and was about ready to adopt every pup in CT. *sigh* I wish I had the room.